Requirements for long-term or temporary accommodation of patients with addictions

Persons who, due to their addictions are unable to take care of themselves and cannot be cared any more in their own homes can be eligible for getting care from a long-term stay in a care home for patients with addictions, a rehabilitation institution for patients with addictions, a residential home for patients with addictions aiming at rehabilitation and on a  temporary basis – up to two years  incare home for patients with addictions

Kulcsszavak: patient with addictions, temporary care, moving into a social care facility, social care, supported housing

Care homes for patients with addictions provide care to persons who need treatment in order to stabilise or improve their condition, are unable to live independently, but do not require medical treatment in institutional settings.

Residential home for patients with addictions are institutions for 8 to 12, exceptionally for 14 persons, which provide care to the persons requesting the provision of care based on their age, health and self-sufficiency.  

Rehabilitation institutions for patients with addictions provide care to persons over the age of 12 who do not require regular clinical treatment, and whose aftercare cannot be arranged in any other way.

Temporary care homes for patients with addictions provide care to patients with addictions whose care cannot be provided for by their families or in their ordinary environments. Patients with addictions may reside in temporary care homes for psychiatric patients only for one year, which can be extended once for one year.

Supported housing is a non-institutional form of care available to persons with addictions with accommodation and social services in accordance with to their age, state of health and degree of autonomy, for the purpose to sustain and promote the independent living of the persons receiving care. The housing service may be in a house or apartment for up to 12 persons, or in case of deinstitutionalisation, up to fifty people. Social assistance besides accommodation encourages participation in social life and maintenance of independent living, while provides other services, such as catering, care, skills development, special educational assistance and transport.

Applicants must apply for care in writing or orally or, if they are under guardianship, the application must be submitted by their legal representative.

The head of the institution notifies applicants or their legal representatives of the decision taken. Refusals are notified in writing and legal remedies are available.

The service provider concludes an agreement with the applicant before the provision of care. The agreement stipulates: 

The use of residential care homes is voluntary.

(The documents to be attached are available in Annex No 1 of Decree 9/1999 (XI. 24.) SZCSM of the Minister of Social and Family Affairs on access to social assistance including personal care)

The cost of the provision of care must be paid for either by the person receiving care or the person responsible for that person’s maintenance. It may not exceed, in case of long-term care institutions, 80 % of the monthly income of the person receiving care, or 60 % for temporary care. Institutions may also request a one-off entry fee. The pecuniary assets and/or immovable property of the person receiving care may be taken into account for the purposes of determining the fee. The person’s immovable property may be mortgaged.

The head of an institution maintained by the state, a municipality, a church or of another non-governmental institution.

It is possible to seek remedy from the administrative authority maintaining the institution against the negative decision of the head of the institution. In such cases, it is the administrative authority that takes a decision on the application for care. A request for a review of the decision of the administrative authority may be submitted to the court.

Have you found this information useful? Please tell us your opinion here.